Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v7

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 03:13:23 EST

* S.ÃaÄlar Onur <caglar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ingo, please ignore my first report until i found a proper way to
> reproduce the slowness cause currently CFS-v7, CFS-v7 + "renice
> patch", CFS-v7 + renice + your private mail suggestions and CFS-v6 +
> "PI support for futexes patch" seems works equally (which is a good
> thing so X renicing seems really not needed, [...]

oh, good!

> [...] and there were no regression instead of my daydreams) or im too
> tired to understand the differences.

could the CPU have dropped speed for that bootup (some CPUs do that
automatically upon overheating), or perhaps if you are using some RAID
array, could it have done a background resync? Especially the bootup
slowdown you saw seemed significant, and because bootup speed is 90% IO
dominated, the CPU scheduler seems an unlikely candidate.

Ingo