Re: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 10:13:41 EST

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:28:46PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Oh we have scores of these hacks around. Look at the dvd/cd layer. The
> > > point is to get rid of those.
> >
> > Perhaps this is just a matter of cleaning them up so they are no
> > longer hacks?
>
> CD and DVD media support various non power-of-two block sizes. Supporting
> more block sizes would also be useful as we could then read older smart
> media (256byte/sector) without the SCSI layer objecting and the like.

Non-power-of-two block sizes are also desirable for FLASH, where
things like UBI want to stash metadata in parts of eraseblocks.

(I've suggested to the MTD folks that it could be made to work with the
block layer, but their imaginations couldn't seem to get much beyond
"erase blocks aren't sector-sized".)