Re: [linux-dvb] Re: Critical points about kernel 2.6.21 andpseudo-authorities

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Mon Apr 30 2007 - 12:56:43 EST

Hi Helge and others,

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Helge Hafting wrote:

what the consequence is. To be truthful I would strategically prefare a vacuum at the price that the work isn't even done for months.
ONLY IF there is a personnel vacuum the necessity for others to volunteer will arise.

A sufficiently bad maintainer will also do it. If lots of submitters send
their patches to andrew in order to get past a dysfunctional maintainer,
then the subsystem effectively is unmaintained.

The point is that Uwe patch will generate regressions by breaking for Twinhan. His patch just removes compilation for dst and dst_ca on Kconfig, without taking care or driver internals. So, two initialization functions won't be called by symbol_request(). Although those two functions will be undefined, as the dvb will do the linkedition at module runtume (if DVB_ATTACH is selected), modprobe won't detect the lack of those functions.
At the end, cards with ST chips (DST and/or DST CA) will stop working, without even printing a warning.

I've tried to explain this to Uwe several times, but, at the end, he always start insulting me and/or other developers.

Cheers,
Mauro.