Re: Linux 2.6.21

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Apr 30 2007 - 14:21:28 EST

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> My ideal was always that reported bugs should be fixed.

..and this is where we differ.

OF COURSE bugs should be fixed. But you seem to think that there is
something magical and special about every single bug-report.

You have a new home assignment: watch the "every sperm is sacred" thing
from Monty Python's "Meaning of Life". Google for it.

And if you cannot appreciate the absurdity and humor of that thing, maybe
you should think about it a bit more.

And once you _can_ appreciate the humor of that song/skit, look yourself
in the mirror, and ask yourself: "is every bug report sacred?"

Really?

> If you accept that this is anyway impossible because more bugs get added
> than could get fixed you might not need any tracking at all.

That's a TOTALLY IDIOTIC argument.

That goes from "every sperm is sacred" to "sperm doesn't count at all".

Can you not see how stupid that statement of yours really is? Can you not
see that anybody who thinks in those kinds of black-and-white terms is
simply not FUNCTIONAL!

Bugs are neither sacred, _nor_ should they be ignored.

Ponder that, grasshopper. And until you can see that things are not
"either-or", "black-and-white", "all or nothing", I don't think I really
can have anything worthwhile to add in this discussion to you. People who
think in absolutes are simply not worth talking to.

Linus