Re: pcmcia ioctl removal

From: Robert P. J. Day
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 05:17:11 EST

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> > pcmcia-delete-obsolete-pcmcia_ioctl-feature.patch

> > Dominik is busy. Will probably re-review and send these direct to Linus.
>
> The patch above is the removal of cardmgr support. While I'd love
> to see this cruft gone it definitively needs maintainer judgement on
> whether they time has come that no one relies on cardmgr anymore.

since i was the one who submitted the original patch to remove that
stuff, let me make an observation.

when i submitted a patch to remove, for instance, the traffic shaper
since it's clearly obsolete, i was told -- in no uncertain terms --
that that couldn't be done since there had been no warning about its
impending removal.

fair enough, i can accept that.

on the other hand, the features removal file contains the following:

What: PCMCIA control ioctl (needed for pcmcia-cs [cardmgr, cardctl])
When: November 2005

in other words, the PCMCIA ioctl feature *has* been listed as obsolete
for quite some time, and is already a *year and a half* overdue for
removal.

in short, it's annoying to take the position that stuff can't be
deleted without warning, then turn around and be reluctant to remove
stuff for which *more than ample warning* has already been given.
doing that just makes a joke of the features removal file, and makes
you wonder what its purpose is in the first place.

a little consistency would be nice here, don't you think?

rday