Re: build system: no module target ending with slash?

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 15:37:04 EST

I looked at lxr.linux.no - so probarly an outdated version.

> I still believe in my version: built-in.o is built if any of $(obj-y) $(obj-m)
> $(obj-n) $(obj-) $(lib-target) contains anything in scripts/Makefile.build
> line 77. As scripts/Makefile.lib line 29 filters the only target the object
> file is not built.

I have applied your patch and tried it out.
The reason for the problem is the placeholder directory mac80211.
kbuild will not waste time building built-in.o for a directory where
it is not necessary. So for mac80211 no built-in.o is created since there
is no need. The only reference is to a module.

The quick-and-dirty workaround is to add a single
obj-n := xx
in mac80211/Makefile and kbuild is happy again.

I could teach kbuild to create built-in.o also in the case
where we refer to a subdirectory only. But then we would end up with a built-in.o
in all directories where we have a kbuild MAkefile (almost) and that is
not desireable.
So I recommend the proposed workaround for now with a proper comment.

Sam