Re: 2.6.22 -mm merge plans: slub on PowerPC

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 18:41:50 EST

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> There are SLUB patches pending (not in rc7-mm2 as far as I can recall)
> that reduce the default page order sizes to head off this issue. The
> defaults were initially too large (and they still default to large
> for testing if Mel's Antifrag work is detected to be active).

Sounds good.

> > - return kmem_cache_alloc(pgtable_cache[PTE_CACHE_NUM],
> > - GFP_KERNEL|__GFP_REPEAT);
> > + return quicklist_alloc(0, GFP_KERNEL|__GFP_REPEAT, NULL);
>
> __GFP_REPEAT is unusual here but this was carried over from the
> kmem_cache_alloc it seems. Hmm... There is some variance on how we do this
> between arches. Should we uniformly set or not set this flag?

Not something to get into in this patch, but it did surprise me too.
I believe __GFP_REPEAT should be avoided, and I don't see justification
for it here (but need to remember not to do a blind virt_to_page on the
result in some places if it might return NULL - which IIRC it actually
can do even if __GFP_REPEAT, when chosen for OOM kill). But I've a
suspicion it got put in there for some good reason I don't know about.

Hugh