Re: VMware, x86_64 and 2.6.21.

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 03:17:32 EST

On Sat, 05 May 2007 10:56:09 BST, Christoph Hellwig said:
> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 01:14:16AM +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > > if you want to ask questions about proprietary kernel stuff you're
> > > better off asking the vendor directly, not lkml
> >
> > I did, but given that it the failure only appeared with a change of
> > vanilla kernel version, I didn't think it was out of place to ask here
> > too.
>
> No, it's still totally offtopic here.

I'm not convinced it's *totally* off-topic. I'll agree that third-party
binaries are on their own as far as active support goes, but I don't see
that it's off-topic to post a simple statement-of-fact like "2.6.mumble-rc1
breaks <popular-driver-FOO>" just so it's a *known* issue and people who
search the list archives don't spend forever re-inventing the wheel. Also,
it's quite *possible* that the binary module has tripped over a geniune
regression or bug in the kernel.