Re: Kconfig text confusion: Battery Class Support?

From: Anton Vorontsov
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 16:33:05 EST

Hello Rusty,

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 10:06:52PM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know writing decent Kconfig help entries is an obscure art, but can
> we please try harder to make the help, y'know, helpful? See below for
> my experience with 2.6.21-mm1.
>
> How come the Kconfig help for EXTERNAL_POWER says "is mandatory for
> battery class support" and I still get prompted for "Battery class
> support" when I say N?
>
> How come both these entries are of form "Foo (FOO)? -- Say Y here to
> enable foo."? Shouldn't we assume the reader knows what Y means?
>
> How about:
>
> Battery class support (BATTERY) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) ?
>
> This allows battery monitoring by userspace via sysfs (if
> available) and/or APM kernel interface (if selected below). Say
> Y or M if building a kernel for a laptop.
>
> I don't even understand the CONFIG_EXTERNAL_POWER enough to comment on
> that one 8(

Thank you for the message, Rusty. It's "fixed" already in battery2-2.6.git.

Yes, battery/external power separation was a complicated part of whole
battery stuff. Now, thanks to David Woodhouse, external power and
battery classes merged, and there is much simpler configuration now:

*
* Power supply class support
*
Power supply class support (POWER_SUPPLY) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) m
Power supply debug (POWER_SUPPLY_DEBUG) [N/y/?] (NEW) y
Generic PDA/phone power driver (PDA_POWER) [N/m/?] (NEW) m
DS2760 battery driver (HP iPAQ & others) (BATTERY_DS2760) [N/m/?] (NEW) m
One Laptop Per Child battery (BATTERY_OLPC) [N/m/?] (NEW) m

That's all you have to answer.

Thanks,

--
Anton Vorontsov