Re: Please revert 5adc55da4a7758021bcc374904b0f8b076508a11(PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE)

From: David Miller
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 16:58:20 EST

From: Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 07:07:53 -0700

> Only if it ends up working properly. The commit you reference above
> (which removed the PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE option), is fine, pci
> multi-threaded probing is still broken as it is a model that PCI drivers
> are not yet ready to handle properly yet.

FWIW I would like to see this working properly at some point.

It seems to me that the issues are two-fold:

1) A proper dependency system is necessary

2) Proper mutual exclusion for shared system resources/registers/etc.
that are poked at in an ad-hoc unlocked manner currently

Is that basically what it boils down to?