Re: CodingStyle: start flamewar about use of braces

From: Stephen Clark
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 18:50:42 EST

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 05:19:45PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

+Do not unnecessarily use braces where a single statement will do.
+
+if (condition)
+ action();
+
+This does not apply if one branch of a conditional statement is a single
+statement. Use braces in both branches.
+
+if (condition) {
+ do_this();
+ do_that();
+} else {
+ otherwise();
+}

If anyone tries to add braces to my code's 'else' statements where they are not required, that patch will get NAK'd in a heartbeat.

Oh isn't coding style fun. I personally hate code that doesn't ALWAYS
have the braces everywhere since it makes adding a print statement
or other debuging to the condition such a pain since you then have to
add braces to the condition to avoid breaking the code just to insert
a print statement. It is one of the few things I disagree with in the
linux kernel coding style.

--
Len Sorensen