Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v8

From: Kevin Bowling
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 16:54:19 EST

On 5/11/07, Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 07:18:25PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > Also notice that current cpus were not designed to work 300 years.
> > > When we have hw designed for 50 years+, we can start to worry.

On a related note, older technology is less sensible. My old VAX VLC4000
from 1991 which received a small heatsink in exchange for its noisy fans
is still doing well in an closed place. I'm more worried for the EPROMs
which store the boot code. Also, I think that the RS6000 processed at
half-micron which run the Mars rovers might run for hundreds of years
at 30 MHz.

Not your typical RS/6000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAD6000

Without a doubt, decently built computers will easily last at least 10
years. From what I can tell, the issue here was simply OS runtime?