Re: [2.6.21.1] SATA freeze

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 14:49:27 EST

Fred Moyer wrote:
I just joined the list today so apologies if this email breaks any email client post threading.

I have been seeing similar errors on two different systems. I applied Robert's sata_nv patch posted to the list on May 5th, and approved today by Jeff Garzik. I've taken several steps to insure that this isn't a faulty cable or drive issue. This is running on a hp dl145g2. Here is my lspci, dmesg, and relevant kernel config sections:

(snip)

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata1.00: cmd b0/d2:f1:00:4f:c2/00:00:00:00:00/00 tag 0 cdb 0x0 data 123392 in
res 50/00:f1:00:4f:c2/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x202 (HSM violation)
ata1: soft resetting port
ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/100
ata1: EH complete

This appears to be a different problem. Something is issuing SMART-related commands (smartd or smartctl perhaps) which the drive seems to be reacting strangely to. It apparently completed the command but never raised DRQ to request any data being transferred even though we expected it to. Maybe SMART is disabled on the drive and that's causing it to just toss these commands? CCing linux-ide in case anyone knows what would cause this.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx