Re: [RFD] Freezing of kernel threads

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 16:12:48 EST

On Sat, 12 May 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> - make the rule be that you cannot sleep in the above macro, and make the
> rule be that CPU hotplug uses the same mechanisms that module unload
> already does!

Side note: we obviously already do the stop_machine_run thing for CPU
down, so doing it for CPU bringup too would seem to just be a good thing.
And it means that the locking for CPU's disappearing is the same as the
locking rules for CPU's appearing: you just want to make sure to disable
preemption (which you already have to do, to make the "CPU went away" case
work out).

So how about just making sure "__cpu_up()" gets called with the same
stop_machine_run() logic? Maybe it's not *quite* a one-liner change, but
it should come fairly close...

Linus