Re: undeprecate raw driver.

From: Dave Jones
Date: Sun May 13 2007 - 12:43:20 EST

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 06:35:45PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >- tristate "RAW driver (/dev/raw/rawN) (OBSOLETE)"
> >+ tristate "RAW driver (/dev/raw/rawN)"
> > depends on BLOCK
> > help
> >- The raw driver permits block devices to be bound to /dev/raw/rawN.
> >- Once bound, I/O against /dev/raw/rawN uses efficient zero-copy I/O.
> >+ The raw driver permits block devices to be bound to /dev/raw/rawN.
> >+ Once bound, I/O against /dev/raw/rawN uses efficient zero-copy I/O.
> > See the raw(8) manpage for more details.
> >
> >- The raw driver is deprecated and will be removed soon.
> >- Applications should simply open the device (eg /dev/hda1)
> >+ Applications should preferably open the device (eg /dev/hda1)
> > with the O_DIRECT flag.
> >
> > config MAX_RAW_DEVS
>
> At least keep the "it's obsolete" Kconfig description. We
> don't want new users/projects to jump on /dev/raw.

That'll just lead to some janitor sending more "OMG! OBSOLETE!" cleanup
patches getting it re-added to the feature-removal.txt
If we undeprecate it, it won't be going away, so new users of it
aren't any more of a problem than they have been the last two and
a half years.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk