Re: converting appletouch to usb autosuspend...

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Sun May 13 2007 - 20:53:18 EST

On Monday 14 May 2007 01:46:10 Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 22:47 +0100, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 May 2007 19:51:26 Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > > Dear all,
>
> [...]
>
> > > While we are at it usb related powerhogs on this macbook pro are
> > > uhci_hcd (usb keyboard) and usb_hcd_poll_rh_status (rh_timer_func)
> > > too...
> >
> > I've found that hci_usb also hogs power on the Macbook; blacklisting this
> > module cuts down HZ considerably. I also found appletouch consumed ticks,
>
> I guess without loading appletouch ? Then there really is something in
> there that needs to be fixed..
>
> > just as you did.
>
> What did you use instead of hci_usb then ? usbkbd ? This won't give you
> the special keys etc...

Sorry, I wasn't clear. hci_usb is actually part of the BlueZ stack, it's got
nothing to do with the keyboard. I unloaded both appletouch AND hci_usb.

> > uhci_hcd then drops to noise; my Macbook's sitting on 10W with the
> > backlight on minimum, which is about what it can manage in OS X on
> > maximum life settings.
>
> Thats quite some improvement...

Yes indeed. The only thing left to improve, as I understand it, is enabling
the C4/C4e power states available on the Core 2 Duo, which don't currently
seem to be utilised by Linux. I notice, however, that the screenshot on the
Intel Powertop page does seem to have these states available?

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.