Re: Linux 2.6.22-rc1

From: Antonino Ingargiola
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 14:25:51 EST

Hi Jean,

2007/5/14, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
[cut]
> I've not found an obvious way to set it in sensors.conf. Could you
> point me to some doumentation, thanks.

sensors.conf supposedly _is_ the the documentation ;)

Search for the following line in /etc/sensors.conf:

chip "via686a-*"

After this line, add:

set fan1_div 4
set fan2_div 4

Save, quit, run "sensors -s" (as root), that should do it.

Thanks for the explanation (it's not too evident form sensors.conf ;)).

> Is this new version required only for the via686 chip or should be a
> general advise for Debian Etch users to upgrade to lm-sensors >=
> 2.10.3 for kernels >= 2.6.22?

The problem affects almost all hardware monitoring chips, so this is a
general advice. I've added a note about it on the lm-sensors website.

Alternatively though, you could have recompiled your kernel with
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y, then lm_sensors 2.10.1 would have worked
fine again. Sorry for not mentioning this before, this might have been
easier than upgrading lm_sensors.

No problem. I took no more than 5 min to do the backport instead of
~25 min of a full kernel built ;-). BTW it's always good to know the
various solutions.

Thanks,

~ Antonio