Re: SideWinder GameVoice driver

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 10:28:47 EST

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Tomas Carnecky wrote:

> Despite it's a Microsoft product, it's actually very nice and useful. A
> little pad with a few buttons and connectors for a headset. It's an USB
> device, but it doesn't represent itself as an input/HID device:
> HID device not claimed by input or hiddev
> What would be the best way to have this device appear in the system?
> Having a separate driver/device node? Or is it possible to have a small
> driver that would translate the gamevoice commands into evdev messages
> and have a new /dev/input/eventX device appear?
> I could write something like that myself, my C skills are good enough
> for that, I'd just need some advice how to use the kernel USB/evdev
> interfaces.

Hi Tomas,

the reason for hid-input not claiming the device is very probably that the
report descriptor of the device doesn't comply with what the in-kernel
HID-input driver is accepting.

Could you please

- compile the kernel with CONFIG_HID_DEBUG and send me the output you
receive when you connect the device
- if you'd like to work on it yourself, try to analyze the hid report
descriptor (it will be in the kernel log after you plug the device into
CONFIG_HID_DEBUG compiled kernel) and see what types of collection types
and usages does it contain. Please look at the code in
drivers/hid/hid-input.c:hidinput_connect() to understand which HID
devices are being claimed by the hid-input subsystem (the very first
loop over all the collections is the most important one)

--
Jiri Kosina