Re: Asynchronous scsi scanning

From: Satyam Sharma
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 15:04:55 EST

On 5/18/07, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 12:17:40AM +0530, Satyam Sharma wrote:
> However, Ben does have a point that we shouldn't force those
> using SCSI (and wishing to use the new async scanning
> feature) to depend on and use sysfs too

yes, we do. an no, procfs is a much worse filesystem to depend
on for drivers.

By depend on I meant being forced to build and run it. /proc is
clearly more-or-less standard that almost everybody uses, otoh
users that do not run sysfs are more common.

if people don't want sysfs they can either do the synchronous scan
or do their own scan in userspace.

Hmmm, actually those other users could easily write and maintain
a 20-line patch that does the wait for async scans thing for them
using /proc/scsi/scsi in any case.