Re: Asynchronous scsi scanning

From: Satyam Sharma
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 23:42:20 EST

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 01:39:54PM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 12:34:40AM +0530, Satyam Sharma wrote:
> > Hmmm, actually those other users could easily write and maintain
> > a 20-line patch that does the wait for async scans thing for them
> > using /proc/scsi/scsi in any case.
>
> How about the three users who're bothered by this extra module being
> built maintain a one-line patch to Kconfig and leave well enough alone?

So you expect users bothered with this to actually get on lkml / write to it
and complain about this? And because not everybody else who is
disgusted with this user-invisible-default-m-module-way-of-solving-this-problem
(when it shouldn't be a module at all) is doing that, it's just "the three"?

It is *shocking* / funny how you *still* want to defend that:

static int __init wait_scan_init(void)
{
scsi_complete_async_scans();
return 0;
/* BTW this could've been return scsi_complete_async_scans();
* I see scsi_complete_async_scans() never fails, but still. */
}
late_initcall(wait_scan_init);

deserves/must be a separate module, and that doing:

config SCSI_WAIT_SCAN
tristate
default m

is the best way to solve this !!!

In any case, firstly, I'm not a user of SCSI at all. I'm still
interested in this,
but because for me (like I've said twice already) this is simply a (trivial,
perhaps) matter of doing something in the kernel in a better/proper way,
than what is being done currently.

It's also somewhat a matter of *taste* (and hence subjective), if you
_still_ don't get it, Matthew, then there's no point continuing this thread
and trying to convince you ad infinitum.