Re: Weird hard disk noise on shutdown (bug #7674)

From: Rob Landley
Date: Fri May 18 2007 - 03:20:45 EST

On Thursday 17 May 2007 11:04 am, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 12:39:47AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Actually, in my limited experience, SAS is marginally less crappy than
SATA,
> > and has a higher MTBF, probably because the manufacturers try to cut less
> > corners. But if one can get high-quality SATA drives (where?!), I don't
> > know why SAS would be superior to SATA.
>
> SAS is dual ported so you can have redundant cables and controllers.

Because the controller's far more likely to go than the moving parts...

On the models I saw they also literally gold plated the connectors, spun the
disks faster, and basically did everything they could think of to make the
same basic bundle of components more expensive. (Of course the fundamental
thing you do to make it more expensive is have smaller production runs in the
first place...)

Rob