Re: aio is unlikely

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri May 18 2007 - 17:08:24 EST

On Fri, 18 May 2007 16:49:49 -0400
"Alex Volkov" <avcp-lkmail@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
> > aio is unlikely
> > Stick an unlikely() around is_aio(): I assert that most IO is
> synchronous.
> >
> > -#define in_aio() !is_sync_wait(current->io_wait)
> > +#define in_aio() (unlikely(!is_sync_wait(current->io_wait)))

> > > Please revert. Workload-dependent "likelihood" should not cause
> > > programmers to add such markers.
> > a) disagree with the above
> >
> > b) if in_aio() ever returns true we do
> >
> > printk(KERN_ERR "%s(%s:%d) called in async context!\n",
> > __FUNCTION__, __FILE__, __LINE__);
> >
> > so I sure hope it's unlikely for all workloads.
>
> Shouldn't unlikely() go where in_aio() is actually used, if we printk(error)
> there?
> Isn't putting likely/unlikely into a boolean function-like macro itself
> asking for later trouble?

Yes, if you agree with Jeff's original point.

But I don't, actually. Sure, on some machines+workloads, AIO is more
common than sync IO. But I expect that when we sum across all the
machines+workloads in the world, sync IO is more common and is hence the
case we should optimise for.

That's assuming that the unlikely() actually does something.