Re: SideWinder GameVoice driver

From: Tomas Carnecky
Date: Sat May 19 2007 - 04:01:19 EST

Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2007, Lee Revell wrote:
>
>>> Despite it's a Microsoft product, it's actually very nice and useful. A
>>> little pad with a few buttons and connectors for a headset. It's an USB
>>> device, but it doesn't represent itself as an input/HID device:
>>> HID device not claimed by input or hiddev
>> Is the audio part of the device USB audio class compliant?
>
> Seems like the device is a bit strange - it in fact, as far as my
> understanding goes (see the previous posts in this thread), doesn't have
> any noticeable USB audio capabilities at all - it is just a HID device
> with a few buttons (plus additional audio connector, which only "forwards"
> the sound to a real audio device).

Exactly, it isn't a 'sound' device at all. It has a USB plug and plain
old headset/microphone cables which have to be put into the soundcard.
The pad itself has connectors for the headset/microphone, but those are
simply forwarded to the soundcard (there's the 'mute' button which can
be used to mute the microphone, and a volume wheel, but that's all it
can do with the sound).

> So it's just a trivial HID device with probably a bit strange report
> descriptor, it seems to me. It even has only one interface (the HID one).

Someone at Microsoft probably thought, Hey, there's this
Telephony/Headset category, why not use that?

tom