Re: something strange in libata-core.c for kernel 2.6.22-rc3

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 13:32:20 EST

l.genoni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Mybe I am wrong, but if you are detecting 40-wire cable to set them to
> DMA/33, why the check includes also 80-wire cables configuring them to
> DMA/33 too?
>
> With this patch my nvidia4 IDE controllers detects correctly and
> configure correctly DMA/100 for my HD and DMA/33 for my DVD (the first
> uses a 80-wire cable, the second a 40-wire cable).
>
> Am I wrong somewhere?

That's the drive side verification of 80c cable check, so if the
condition triggers we downgrade 80c or unknown to 40c. Cable detection
on nvidia PATA is a disaster. You're supposed to do some ACPI dancing
and drive side detection is completely bogus. Eeeek....

Alan, did you have a chance to test the ACPI cable detection? It just
didn't work when I tried it. It always returned 80c on my machine.

--
tejun