Re: RFC: kconfig select warnings bogus?

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 20:27:21 EST

Hi,

On Sat, 19 May 2007, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> We see a lot of these lately:
> GEN /home/bor/build/linux-2.6.22/Makefile
> scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/i386/Kconfig
> drivers/macintosh/Kconfig:116:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'PMAC_APM_EMU' refers to undefined symbol 'SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION'
> drivers/net/Kconfig:2283:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'UCC_GETH' refers to undefined symbol 'UCC_FAST'
> drivers/input/keyboard/Kconfig:170:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'KEYBOARD_ATARI' refers to undefined symbol 'ATARI_KBD_CORE'
> drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig:182:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'MOUSE_ATARI' refers to undefined symbol 'ATARI_KBD_CORE'
>

> Do this warning really add any value or should we just ignore them like this?

The problem is that a select operation on a non bool/tristate symbol is
undefined. A runtime error would probably be even more ignored than this.
"Proving" that this select can't be activated is theoretically possible,
but not really practical. An alternative might be to reverse the
dependency again and let it act like a "depends on".
Just removing the warning is definitely not the right answer.

bye, Roman