Re: something strange in libata-core.c for kernel 2.6.22-rc3

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 07:11:18 EST

> Yeah, that's consistent to what I've seen on my machine which is a
> variant of A8N. No matter what value I through at _STM, _GTM just
> echoed the result thus always leading to 80c configuration.
>
> > I guess this means that what we have to do is trust that the BIOS set up
> > a reasonable mode and base the cable detect on that (either by reading
> > back the boot-up controller registers, or by calling GTM). I imagine
> > this is what the Windows default IDE driver is doing (just using the
> > boot-up mode and feeding it back using GTM/STM on suspend/resume cycles).
>
> Alan, what do you think?

Interesting, sounds like it is still useful rather than just reading the
registers as the GTM/STM seem to survive resume cycles which drive config
may not (eg if the driver is loaded after a s2ram/resume.

If it just echoes back we should also be able to detect this by using
knowingly invalid values.

Alan