Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v13

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 12:04:58 EST

On Sun, 20 May 2007, Anant Nitya wrote:

> After digging in a bit I found that problem is only occurring in
> 2.6.22-rc1 and it get fired by network usage while transmitting data
> upstream.

Can you bisect it? Just do

git bisect start
git bisect good v2.6.21
git bisect bad v2.6.22-rc1

and start testing the end result. The bisection thing is pretty efficient,
so while there's almost 5000 commits in there, you realy shouldn't need to
test more than ten kernels to get it narrowed down to just five commits or
so, and since it seems to be very repeatable and noticeable for you,
bisecting should be the trivial thing to figure out what broke.

David: all the blather about network drivers and/or /proc/net/tcp being
slow anyway misses the *big* point: it didn't use to do this. So there's a
new bug there. Maybe something keeps sockets around in a dead state on the
hash lists or whatever. Mayube something else breaks his bittorrent
client. Whatever. We don't know. But it's a regression.

Linus