Re: [patch 07/69] libata-sff: Undo bug introduced with pci_iomapchanges

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 19:30:30 EST

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Chris Wright wrote:
> ---
> [chrisw: Why is this not upstream yet?]

And equally importantly, why is it even in the stable queue if it's not
upstream.

It's against stable rules, and it means that we may have stuff that gets
fixed in -stable and not in -upstream, if people don't notice. THAT IS
BAD!

Having fixes in stable that don't exist in upstream make -stable be
worse than pointless - it means that we actively _lose_ bug-reports. It
may sound like a good idea in the short run, but it's a *horrible* thing
for the long run.

IOW, this should not be on the table for -stable, and people involved
should have made sure it's in -upstream first!

And no, I do not think it's languishing in my mailqueue. I'm pretty sure
it's languishing somewhere else.

Linus