Re: Linux 2.6.22-rc2

From: Mike Houston
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 22:59:41 EST

On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:37:55 -0700
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2007 13:10:55 -0400
> Mike Houston <mikeserv@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 May 2007 08:45:49 -0700
> > Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > It's almost certainly a problem with the BIOS and hardware (not
> > > a sky2) driver issue. Since there are many similar boards and
> > > configurations, I made the decision not to enforce restrictions
> > > in the driver.

> > Thank you for your answer. I was half wondering if that was the
> > case after staring at those log messages several more times. I
> > don't understand hardware at the low level but got thinking maybe
> > interrupt routing issue. There's an Nvidia PCI Express card in
> > there that gets IRQ 16, though it was not initialized by a driver
> > at the time. (plain old VGA console after fresh cold boot... no
> > framebuffer, no X, no nvidia module). I guess some things don't
> > share well.
> >
> > It works well in that other OS that came with the hardware, but
> > that's beside the point.
>
> It is some low level PCI Express related stuff, try latest BIOS (F9)
> and if that doesn't help there is a EEPROM update from Gigabyte
> for the Marvell hardware that might help.

Thanks for your suggestions, I followed through on them. It may still
be interesting/useful to hear from me that it didn't help. The
problem is the same.

My motherboard is a newer revision (Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3) and
already had the "F10" bios version, but I flashed to the latest F11
version anyways. I also flashed with the EEPROM update from Gigabyte,
from a FAQ entry for my motherboard revision.
(faq_marvell_eeprom.zip). Both operations were successful. I cleared
the CMOS and reconfigured after the bios flash too.

Incidently, it was showing IRQ 16 in that early initialization
message, but actually getting a MSI interrupt (IRQ 219, PCI-MSI-edge)

I've disabled the onboard yukon2 adapter in bios and gone
back to the PCI card now. I think we can consider the matter closed,
since it's not a problem with the driver, but just so you know, I'm
always willing to help test when it's hardware that I have.

Mike Houston