Re: class_device_create() and the mode of the device file in /dev.

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 23:47:02 EST

On 5/23/07, Y Khan <ykhanportland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am porting a driver from 2.4 to 2.6. I have replaced
the call devfs_register() with class_create() and
class_device_create(). Now, udev is automatically
creating the device file in /dev.

Please use device_create(), class_device_* will go away in the future.

The device file being created has a default mode of
0600. Is it possible to override this default mode
from inside the kernel. I do not want to do anything
in the configuration file for udev.

I could modify the attribute of the class and the
class device but I do not think that they will change
the default permissions for the /dev device file.

devfs_register() used to take a mode argument.

No, the kernel is not involved in specifying /dev permissions. You
have to add a udev rule to assign a mode that isn't the default.

Thanks,
Kay