Google are using linux kernel - what do you know about the source?

From: Gergo Szakal
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 10:35:29 EST

Greetings to all list-members!

Recently I have read that Google are selling enterprise hardware that
is running a modified version of the Linuk kernel [1]. I decided to ask
them whether the source is available. I did this via the question form
they offered.

Their officer told me that the source is not available to the public. I
then asked whether the source was available to customers only, and the
same officer responded that the source code for the search engine is not
publicly available.

Since this indicates that my mail must have been unclear, I mailed them
again:

> Thanks for the informantion, however I was interested in the modified
> Linux kernel's code, since I understand that your search technology is
> way too much work.

So far, I have not received any response (as soon as I do, I am going
to post it here).

I am posting this mail because I am sure certain members on this list
are much more aware of this and can provide me more information on
the subject.

I would not like to start any flamewars. I would be very
happy to see that Google are actually co-developers of the Linux
kernel, since such a backend is always good. I was just mailing them to
make things clearer and since this was unsuccessful, I posted here.

So my exact question: What do you know about this? Can you provide
me more information?

Thanks in advance for your replies! Please CC me because I am not
subscribed to the list.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/yv88oq

--
Gergo Szakal