Re: Long delay in resume from RAM (Was Re: [patch 00/69]-stablereview)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu May 24 2007 - 11:31:07 EST

On Thu, 24 May 2007, Romano Giannetti wrote:

> More data. I compiled 2.6.21.2 + the patch "Fix ACPI suspend / device
> suspend ordering problem (52ade9b3b97fd3bea42842a056fe0786c28d0555)
>
> and I discovered that if I do not put the 3Com 3CXEM556B card into the
> pcmcia slot, the suspend/resume (and the snapshot/restore) works ok,
> without delay at all.

Ok. That was probably true even before you added the suspend ordering
patch.

> It continues to work even with a cardbus wifi in the slot, so my
> conclusions are that the probable culprit is restricted to:
>
> * a race when loading the .cis file from userspace
> * the serial_cs or 3c589_cs driver (only when the device is in;
> they are loaded still now and all is working ok)
>
> ...what now?

Can you compile those two modules with PCMCIA_DEBUG=4?

Something like

make EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DPCMCIA_DEBUG=4

should do it. You might also enable CONFIG_PCMCIA_DEBUG while you're at
it. And then the extra debugging output hopefully will narrow down where
things go south.

Linus