Re: BUG in 2.6.22-rc2-mm1: Parts of Alsa sound architecture broken

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 13:29:17 EST

On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:01:34 +0200 Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> At Thu, 24 May 2007 13:09:21 -0700,
> Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 24 May 2007 22:00:52 +0200
> > "Uwe Bugla" <uwe.bugla@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > with 2.6.22-rc2-mm1 I do get sound out of my machine using snd-intel8x0 module, BUT:
> > >
> > > At least parts of that Alsa sound architecture do seem to be broken:
> >
> > I assume you're referring to this stuff?
> >
> > > snd_seq_device: Unknown symbol snd_iprintf
> > > snd_seq_device: Unknown symbol snd_device_new
> > > snd_rawmidi: Unknown symbol snd_info_register
> > > snd_rawmidi: Unknown symbol snd_seq_device_new
> > > snd_rawmidi: Unknown symbol snd_info_free_entry
> >
> > Probably some silly missing dependency. Please send the .config, thanks.
>
> The culprit appears more ealier. It implies the missing
> soundcore.ko (or its dependency).
>
> > snd: Unknown symbol unregister_sound_special
> > snd: Unknown symbol register_sound_special_device
> > snd: Unknown symbol sound_class
>
> Uwe, could you try to revert this patch?
> use-menuconfig-objects-ii-sound.patch

I think that patch has rotted. Too many underlying changes and the
handling of HAS_IOMEM (at least) appears to have been broken (by my
fixups).

I'll drop it.

If/when Jan resends it, pleeeeeeeeeze consider it promptly and don't leave
me trying to maintain the thing while you guys are madly changing other
stuff underneath it?

Thanks.