Re: [patch 1/7] ps3: Preallocate bootmem memory for the PS3 FLASHROM storage driver

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Sat May 26 2007 - 04:51:52 EST

On Sat, 26 May 2007, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 10:36 +0200, Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > -#if defined(CONFIG_FB_PS3) || defined(CONFIG_FB_PS3_MODULE)
> > +#if defined(CONFIG_FB_PS3) || defined(CONFIG_FB_PS3_MODULE) || \
> > + defined(CONFIG_PS3_FLASH_MODULE) ||
> > defined(CONFIG_PS3_FLASH_MODULE)
>
> As I said multiple times, imho, #ifdef CONFIG_xxx_MODULE in the kernel
> is always a bug.
>
> You should always be able to build the module out of tree afteward and
> use it on a kernel that didn't have the CONFIG_xxx_MODULE set imho.

I know.

Do you know another way to allocate an aligned chunk of 256 KiB of physically
contiguous memory, possibly a long time after boot up?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE)
Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1