Re: pcmcia resume 60 second hang. Re: [patch 00/69] -stable review

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 12:28:32 EST

On Sun, 27 May 2007, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> As far as I can tell the PPC code simply shuts down the devices without
> worrying about userspace at all. If this was reliable, what prevents us
> from simply disabling the freezer for STR?

Personally, I think that's the right thing to do.

And by "disabling the freezer", I think we should just not call it at all.
However, sadly, right now it's called from common code. I'll happily take
a tested patch to split that code sequence up, and try to do it in 2.6.23,
if somebody has the energy (I'm getting to the point where I may just do
it myself, but my lazy nature still hopes for a STR person to step
forward).

Linus