Re: 2.6.22-rc2-mm1

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 18:41:32 EST

On 5/28/07, Tilman Schmidt <tilman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 26.05.2007 18:01 schrieb Andrew Morton:
> On Sat, 26 May 2007 17:59:15 +0200 Tilman Schmidt <tilman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> This breaks network initialization on my SuSE 10.0 box [...]
>
> Thanks. I think others have seen similar things and it was attributed to
> driver-core-check-return-code-of-sysfs_create_link.patch.

That's it. After reverting that patch, the Ethernet interface
comes up fine again.

Cornelia,
in the patch is:
+ if (dev->kobj.parent == &dev->class->subsys.kobj)
+ return 0;

which will skip the creation of the "device"-link, right?

But still, I don't think the transaction-style of error handling is
what we want, it's for some critical subsystems the equivalent of
adding PANIC(), and this just for a failing symlink-creation. I think
we just want to print the to the logs, and not let the whole core
device registration fail entirely.

Thanks,
Kay