Re: [RFC] LZO de/compression support - take 5

From: Nitin Gupta
Date: Mon May 28 2007 - 08:09:32 EST

On 5/28/07, Michael-Luke Jones <mlj28@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 28 May 2007, at 07:59, Nitin Gupta wrote:

> If we get no perf. problems with this patch, then I beleive it is now
> suitable to inclusion in mainline. Further cleanups and optimizations
> can surely be done after that. It's still just ~500 LOC.

Before LZO code is sent to Linus, its selection in Kconfig should be
made orthogonal to the current zlib selection code.

This means:
1) Options in lib/Kconfig hidden (selectable by drivers as required)

LZO as hidden option has no practical sense. Although LZO should be
auto-selected when some dependent project is selected (e.g. reieser4)
- there should be separate patch for this. Mixing such changes with
'core' LZO patch will just add side noise.

2) Decompression and Compression support separated, as read-only
filesystems only need to build in decompression support.

Ok, I will do this. I wonder if some difference in opinion in such
things can actually cause 10+ extra RFCs?

Cheers,
Nitin