Re: pcmcia resume 60 second hang. Re: [patch 00/69] -stable review

From: Mark Lord
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 10:16:32 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
Does that mean you never ever power off your laptop (assuming you have
one), and the battery never runs out? Surely you must power it off
completely sometimes?

So? The bootup isn't that much worse than a disk suspend/resume, and it's reliable.

I very much prefer suspend (to RAM) over hibernate (to DISK).
But once in a while, primarily when travelling, I'll use hibernate.

And the "swsusp" in the kernel is just plain crappy and slow,
which leads many people (including our beloved chief penguin, it seems)
into thinking that hibernate *has* to be too slow to be useful.

But with Suspend2, it is very quick and usable by comparism.
Try it, you'll like it (at least a little).

Cheers