Re: [AppArmor 01/41] Pass struct vfsmount to the inode_create LSM hook

From: David Wagner
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 23:00:33 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
>Hmm, I guess I'd love "it is useless on multiuser boxes" to become
>standard part of AA advertising.

That's not quite what david@ said. As I understand it, AppArmor is not
focused on preventing attacks by local users against other local users;
that's not the main problem it is trying to solve. Rather, it's primary
purpose is to deal with attacks by remote bad guys against your network
servers. That is a laudable goal. Anything that helps reduce the impact
of remote exploits is bound to be useful, even if doesn't do a darn
thing to stop local users from attacking each other.

This means that AppArmor could still be useful on multiuser boxes,
even if that utility is limited to defending (some) network daemons
against remote attack (or, more precisely, reducing the damage done by
a successful remote attack against a network daemon).