Re: kexec and aacraid broken

From: Vivek Goyal
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 09:25:06 EST

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 07:44:02AM -0400, Salyzyn, Mark wrote:
> I believe this issue is a result of the aacraid_commit_reset patch (as
> posted for scsi-misc-2.6, enclosed to permit testing) not yet propagated
> to the 2.6.22-rc3 tree.
>
> This is the adapter taking longer than 3 minutes to start after a reset.
> I seriously doubt either of these patches suggested below will have an
> affect. And if they do, they are not root cause, one reduces the chances
> that the card will be reset during initialization (thus applied would
> likely mitigate this problem), the other prevents a panic when the
> Adapter is reset (removed, would result in dogs and cats sleeping with
> each other).
>
> Please use kernel parameter aacraid.startup_timeout=540 (merely larger
> than the default 180 seconds) when spawning the kexec or see if the
> aacraid_commit_reset.patch resolves the issue to confirm my hunch.

Hi Mark,

During a normal kexec (not kdump) adapter reset should not have taken
place at all. device_shutdown() routines should have taken care to
bring the device to a known sane state in first kernel so that second
kernel can initialize it without doing a reset.

With reset patch, now reset triggers on every kexec. Previously
that was not the case with kexec and adapter used to come up. I think
this needs to be looked into.

Thanks
Vivek