Re: Syslets, Threadlets, generic AIO support, v6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 15:17:33 EST

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Mark Lord wrote:

> I wonder how useful it would be to reimplement sendfile()
> using splice(), either in glibc or inside the kernel itself?

I'd like that, if only because right now we have two separate paths that
kind of do the same thing, and splice really is the only one that is
generic.

I thought Jens even had some experimental patches for it. It might be
worth to "just do it" - there's some internal overhead, but on the other
hand, it's also likely the best way to make sure any issues get sorted
out.

Linus