Re: Case: 7454422: Re: Kernel 2.6.21.3 does not work with 8GB ofRAM on Intel 965WH motherboards. (FULL DMESG)

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Thu May 31 2007 - 08:49:57 EST

Robert Hancock wrote:
I think that mem=8832M would work as well, to make the kernel use only the memory that is marked cacheable. (It looks like this parameter takes the highest memory address we want the kernel to use, not the highest memory amount.)

Yep, and that would be much easier too.

I am curious though as this seems to be somewhat common a problem, could we make the kernel analyze which memory is not cacheable (it already knows this via MTRR) and not use that portion for anything? Plus may be warn the user to contact their BIOS vendor to correct the problem?

I think that would be possible - even if the kernel knows late that the memory was uncached we could migrate those pages in that region to someplace else?

Parag