Re: HPT374 IDE problem with 2.6.21.* kernels

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Fri Jun 01 2007 - 16:52:39 EST

Hello.

Andrew Morton wrote:

I saw a similar report yesterday with '2.6.21.1 - 97% wait time on IDE operations' subject.

After upgrading from 2.6.20.7 kernel to 2.6.21.1 my system started to reset infrequenly the IDE bus. In the syslog DMA timeout, resetting IDE bus messages appeared. I've changed the two disks attached to the HPT374 controller, and always the first disk had problems. I've replaced cables, plugged the disks into other IDE ports, but it was only a matter of time to experience an IDE reset. When I upgraded to 2.6.21.3 the resets became much more frequent, this time even DMA was disabled too on the first disk. I turned DMA back Manually with hdparm, and a few seconds of intense IO activity resulted in another IDE reset.

Reverting back to 2.6.20.12 the problem seems to be gone. BTW I'm using the PATA driver for the HTP374, not the libata one.

Is this a known problem/ is there a way I can help locating the cause of the problem?

Yes, please post the boot log and the IDE reset log too for starters...

(cc's added)

WBR, Sergei