Re: HPT374 IDE problem with 2.6.21.* kernels

From: Geller Sandor
Date: Sun Jun 03 2007 - 06:37:53 EST

Hello,

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

Hi,

On Saturday 02 June 2007, Geller Sandor wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:

The log of a typical IDE reset is available here:

http://petra.hos.u-szeged.hu/~wildy/syslog.gz

This was the worst case: the IDE bus was resetted during the system boot.

Could you try setting HPT374_ALLOW_ATA133_6 to 0 in
drivers/ide/pci/hpt366.c and rebuild/reboot the kernel?

Hi Sergei,

This looks promising. Using a vanilla 2.6.22-rc3 I was able to reproduce
the problem within a few seconds. With the above modification the machine
is running under heavy disk I/O without problems since 30 minutes...

Did it fix the problem for good?

It seems so far. There hasn't been any problem since I've applied the fix.

Sergei, do we need to disallow UDMA6 completely on HPT734 or
is it only an issue with some problematic devices (=> blacklist)?

Either way we need to fix it somehow for 2.6.22.

For the record: this HTP374 is running with a quite outdated firmware (1.22) - maybe newer firmwares work correctly. I'm going to upgrade the firmware to the latest one (which was released in 2004...), but unfortunately in the upcoming 2-3 weeks I won't have access to this machine, so I can't check the case within the release cycle of 2.6.22. If you were interested I would post the result of the firmware upgrade.

Regards,

Sandor