Re: SLUB: Return ZERO_SIZE_PTR for kmalloc(0)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 04 2007 - 12:27:17 EST

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> Ok, makes sense. I guess I might as well throw my suggestion in the
> mix. Lets create a new kmalloc cache for zero-length objects where
> object size is zero but there are regular red-zones on both sides.

Well, the red-zones won't catch readers, and more importantly, even for
writers they are *really* inconvenient, because it will just tell you
something bad happened, it won't tell you *where* it happened.

Since comparing the addresses of two zero-sized allocations is insane and
not done _anyway_, it's just much better to return an invalid address.

The thing is, why *should* we care about comparing addresses? We'll give
the right result (you got many perfectly separate allocations, they're
just zero bytes apart, exactly like you asked for!). The fact that C++ has
some semantics for it is not a good argument - C++ is a broken language,
and it's not the language we use for the kernel anyway.

Linus