Re: 64-bit syscall ABI issue

From: David Miller
Date: Mon Jun 04 2007 - 17:26:27 EST

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:56:57 +0000 (UTC)

[ added linux-arch which is a great place to discuss these
kinds of issues. ]

> What should the kernel syscall ABI be in such cases (any case where the
> syscall implementations expect arguments narrower than registers, so
> mainly 32-bit arguments on 64-bit platforms)? There are two obvious
> possibilities:

In general we've taken the stance that the syscall dispatch
should create the proper calling environment for C code
implementing the system calls, and this thus means properly
sign and zero extending the arguments as expected by the C
calling convention.