Re: [patch 9/9] Scheduler profiling - Use conditional calls

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Mon Jun 04 2007 - 18:20:29 EST

* Andi Kleen (andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > I see your point, but there is a level of control on the branch I would
> > lack by doing so: the ability to put the call in either the if or else
> > branch. It is an optimization on i386.
>
> What does it optimize exactly?

Nicholas McGuire told me that the non common cases should be put in
else branches of if statements for i386. At the time, I did a quick test
that correlated what he said, but I seem to be unable to reproduce this
behavior now (maybe my code snippet is too simple?): I will then assume
that the likely/unlikely (builtin expects) tells everything that is
needed to gcc until further notice. Therefore, we can use the form :

if (cond_call(var)), as you proposed.

> > Also, I live in the expectation that, someday, the gcc guys will be nice
> > enough to add some kind of support for a nop-based jump that would
> > require code patching to put a jump instead. If it ever happens, my
> > macro could evolve into this for newer compiler versions, which I could
> > not do with the if() statement you are proposing.
>
> If that ever happens we couldn't use it anyways because Linux still
> has to support old compilers for a long time. And when those are dropped the
> code could be updated.

Agreed.

--
Mathieu Desnoyers