Re: [patch] cpusets: do not allow TIF_MEMDIE tasks to allocateglobally

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Jun 05 2007 - 21:41:26 EST

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, David Rientjes wrote:
>
> > Obviously GFP_KERNEL allocations can allocate regardless of our memory
> > exclusivity, but the point is that a job in one exclusive cpuset should
> > not have the ability to effect the performance (in terms of reclaim and
> > swap), memory usage, or survival of jobs in other exclusive cpusets
> > because it was out of memory.
>
> Right but the process is terminating thus only requiring limited resources
> to get finished. The process does not have the ability to affect the other
> cpusets. I.e. it cannot directly allocate outside of the cpuset. The
> system has that capability and the system is handling the termination of
> the process and should terminate the process in a clean way if possible.

And those limited resources should be available in the difference between
low and no watermarks as defined by each zone in the cpuset's
mems_allowed. Regardless, we should not allow allocations outside of the
cpuset because we have marked it TIF_MEMDIE and we don't have any explicit
guarantee that it is exiting yet and not mlock'ing an excessive amount of
memory that exceeds the capacity of all cpuset nodes.

David