Re: CPU hotplug: system hang on CPU hot remove during `pfmon --system-wide'

From: Gautham R Shenoy
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 11:24:58 EST

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 01:56:24PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 28 May 2007, Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
> >
> > So is it settled now on what approach we are going to follow (freezer
> > vs lock based) for cpu hotplug? I thought that Linus was not favouring freezer
> > based approach sometime back ..
>
> As far as I'm concerned, we should
> - use "preempt_disable()" to protect against CPU's coming and going
> - use "stop_machine()" or similar that already honors preemption, and
> which I trust a whole lot more than freezer.
> - .. especially since this is already how we are supposed to be protected
> against CPU's going away, and we've already started doing that (for an
> example of this, see things like e18f3ffb9c from Andrew)

Yes, provided that the code sections which need protection against CPU's
coming and going don't block, we surely can use preempt_disable/preempt_enable
for refcounting. But we do have scenarios where such code sections do
block. Vatsa has quoted a few of them in his mail.

> It really does seem fairly straightforward to make "__cpu_up()" be called
> through stop_machine too. Looking at _cpu_down:
>
> mutex_lock(&cpu_bitmask_lock);
> p = __stop_machine_run(take_cpu_down, NULL, cpu);
> mutex_unlock(&cpu_bitmask_lock);
>
> and then looking at _cpu_up:
>
> mutex_lock(&cpu_bitmask_lock);
> ret = __cpu_up(cpu);
> mutex_unlock(&cpu_bitmask_lock);
>
> I just go "Aww, wouldn't it be nice to just make that "__cpu_up()" call be
> done through __stop_machine_run() too?"

Sure, we can do it. But what is it going to solve?

The whole section from CPU_UP/DOWN_PREPARE to CPU_ONLINE/DEAD
is supposed to be atomic and not just __cpu_up/take_cpu_down.
These are the sections where subsystems create/destroy their per-cpu
resources.

Remember, the cpufreq problem was originally caused because we were
releasing the cpu_bitmask_lock before handling CPU_DEAD, where some of
the cpufreq specific per-cpu data was being freed. And thus, we were
operating on stale data in the window between the release of
cpu_bitmask_lock and handling of CPU_DEAD.

> Hmm?
>
> Then, you could get the "cpu_bitmask_lock" if you need to sleep, but if
> you don't want to do that (and quite often you don't), just doing a
> "preempt_disable()" or taking a spinlock will *also* guarantee that no new
> CPU's suddenly show up, so it's safe to look at the CPU online bitmasks.
>
> Do we really need anything else?

* We don't need locks/mutexes because (bad) experience tells us that
in this case, locking is not the right model.

* Despite having implemented it, I am not very much convinced about
freezer because it hides the cpu-hotplug details from subsystems, which
IMHO is not a good thing.

* Like every other resource, if people don't want a cpu to go down/come up,
they should bump up an associated refcount. But since we need
this refcounting model to allow blocking code sections too, we cannot
use preempt_enable/disable.

Therefore sir, we do need nice scalable refcounting model :)

> As mentioned, it's actually fairly easy to add verification calls to make
> sure that certain accesses are done with preemption disabled, so..
>
> Linus

Thanks and Regards
gautham.
--