Re: generic bool and sparse errors?

From: Al Viro
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 16:24:24 EST

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 01:17:44PM -0700, Kok, Auke wrote:
> well the sparse warning is about signedness. Either sparse needs to "know"
> that bool is unsigned, or the kernel headers need to somehow make bool
> unsigned... the latter choice would come down to just that, but it doesn't
> look like a good idea to me either somehow.

sparse treats _Bool as 1-bit integer type. It's considerably more
complicated beast; for one thing (_Bool)2 is 1, not 0. For another,
several places make unpleasant assumptions that size in bits is a
multiple of bits_in_char. Which would be fine, but sparse has it
set to 1 for _Bool. With obvious results...